Traveling Better Forums  

Go Back   Traveling Better Forums > Airlines > AA/OneWorld

AA/OneWorld British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Lan Airlines, Qantas, Royal Jordanian Airlines, and American Airlines.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
JonNYC
Founding Member

Facebook "EXP group"-- anyone here ever hear of this?

Surprised I never even heard of this-- anyone here know of it??
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ast-night.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19361002-post15.html

Color me surprised!
JonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
skye1
Original Member

Home Airport: LHR
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Event book-ends...Opened with a stirring live performance of the US national anthem by "America's Tenor"....Closed the next day iwth all being guested by AA to the roof of their operations tower at LAX for an unforgettable view of the flyovers and Endeavor's final landing.

Last edited by skye1 : 09-22-2012 at 06:31 AM.
skye1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
ORDFlyerAA

Was a member but eventually left the group. While the gifts AA gives the group are nice, the opportunity to win was the only reason I was sticking around, so eventually decided to bail out.

Agree with the above that there are a few members who seem to know quite a bit about AA and AAdvantage, but in my humble opinion, it's only about 5 or 6. There was almost a shocking level of misinformation at times.
ORDFlyerAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
richard
Original Member

Hometown: NYC
Was there an AA participant to correct the misinformation?
richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
JonNYC
Founding Member

Got an incredibly nice, complementary and welcoming PM from an admin of that FB group here on TB this morning. It's not a group I'd see myself actively participating in (nor am I even an EP!,) but I'm certainly very impressed with the event as described!
Old 09-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
ORDFlyerAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard View Post
Was there an AA participant to correct the misinformation?
The AA staff do interact but rarely to correct program/airline info. Mostly it's the handful of people who have a good handle on things that will give the right answer, but the FB format makes it hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so some things go uncorrect or the correct info gets buried.

Really nice folks, but it's mostly a good social outlet, not a place to get info. That's still what TB is for.
ORDFlyerAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
JonNYC
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORDFlyerAA View Post
The AA staff do interact but rarely to correct program/airline info. Mostly it's the handful of people who have a good handle on things that will give the right answer, but the FB format makes it hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so some things go uncorrect or the correct info gets buried.

Really nice folks, but it's mostly a good social outlet, not a place to get info. That's still what TB is for.
Having heard a bit more about this group, I'm very, very impressed with it. I saw some on FT dismissed it "because it's on Facebook." In fact, as bad as facebook is at some things, it's clearly proven to be a much better format than, say, Flyertalk:
http://www.travelingbetter.com/forum...ead.php?t=4491
in this regard!

I'm really blown away by this group-meet that the FB group had this past week and AA's incredible, intimate involvement in same. Pulling QF A380 into it as well.

Can't say I'm nearly as impressed with FT's version thereof:

(no link above, what would one link to?)

Last edited by JonNYC : 09-22-2012 at 03:44 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-22-2012, 04:28 PM   #8
JSSmuckers

Hi Jon and everyone

I am one of the administrators on the FB page. And, from the start, I wanted to say that I have followed and interacted with Jon a few times over the years. If you want true info, go to TB. I am kind of an anti-FTer...

Always, a little history. It was started by a gentleman that was fed up with FT and AA customer service. He thought a voice of many elite travelers would get some attention in the new Facebook era.

Personally, I love it. It is very social and we call each other family and friends. We do allot of small meetups, a few large ones like the LAX event which had about 50 people and about 8 people from AA across aadvantage, onboard food and retail, LAX management, social media, marketing, and the chief commercial officer. Al of the road warriors from 2012 are involved....

I try to bring the AAdvantage and sabre knowledge. But we can always use more experts! Anyone is welcome! It is very different than TB....and we are not trying to be a TB. TB is awesome....there is nothing else like it! We are just another outlet. And I think complementary!

A big welcome is waiting for anyone!
JSSmuckers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #9
JonNYC
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSSmuckers View Post
Hi Jon and everyone

I am one of the administrators on the FB page. And, from the start, I wanted to say that I have followed and interacted with Jon a few times over the years. If you want true info, go to TB. I am kind of an anti-FTer...

Always, a little history. It was started by a gentleman that was fed up with FT and AA customer service. He thought a voice of many elite travelers would get some attention in the new Facebook era.

Personally, I love it. It is very social and we call each other family and friends. We do allot of small meetups, a few large ones like the LAX event which had about 50 people and about 8 people from AA across aadvantage, onboard food and retail, LAX management, social media, marketing, and the chief commercial officer. Al of the road warriors from 2012 are involved....

I try to bring the AAdvantage and sabre knowledge. But we can always use more experts! Anyone is welcome! It is very different than TB....and we are not trying to be a TB. TB is awesome....there is nothing else like it! We are just another outlet. And I think complementary!

A big welcome is waiting for anyone!
Absolutely amazing to me on so many fronts.

I got a PM today from one of your fellow admins and it was, like yours, amongst the most cheerful, welcoming and complimentary communications I've ever gotten since TB started.

Not a WHIFF of FT-style nastiness, bluster and rancor, although, obvioulsy that exists anywhere people link their computer to "the internet"-- can't be escaped, really, no matter what and I'm sure you have your share.

This guy's post, too, on FT strikes me as so very refreshing, honest and positive as well:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19362174-post19.html

I also find it so funny that 2 admins from your group are right here and I never even knew it.

Glad you guys consider TB to be the AAdv resource that we've tried so hard to make it.

I assume if anyone has any questions they can ask ya' And, I'd encourage more people who are members of your group to "out" themselves here-- or maybe not if it's considered more "private" than that.

Really, really interesting to me to find this out. Is it fair to say that it's literally -never- been mentioned on FT? And, is it similarly fair to say it largely LAX (or west coast, anyway) based?
Old 09-22-2012, 06:39 PM   #10
JonNYC
Founding Member

Oh, and, as I mentioned to the admin that PM'd me, if you guys would ever like your own forum here on TB (completely and totally unmoderated by me ,) I'd put you in touch with Jonathan here and I'm certain he'd be happy to help. I'd be happy to help too, keeping it entirely 100% separate from regular AA forum operations/policies/moderation/etc.

Again, I'd steer 100% clear-- your forum, your rules, your members, your content, your headaches () etc. I'd have no moderator title/power, nuthin' (isn't it sad that I have to make such a promise to make this idea appealing? )

Just a thought if FB ever becomes an inefficient way of doing things or if you want "more space," etc.